Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? Ten tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest progressing fields of medication. Never before have numerous clinical breakthroughs and new strategies emerged in such a brief time period. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, offers countless individuals the opportunity to reduce or remove their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio advertisements are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the pain-free and fast way to remedy vision, however stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Before you decide to go under the beam, what can you do to help make sure that you will enjoy with your results?
The essential to safe surgery in any field of medication is an informed client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting referrals from other physicians or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Do not be tricked by expensive advertisements about a particular laser. Select the physician, not the laser.
3. Select a medical professional who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a physician does not understand can injure you.
Ask for details on your doctor's LASIK eye surgery issue rates. If your medical professional will not inform you, find another one.
5. Ask exactly what procedures are taken to prevent infection. Search for a center with a sterilized or dust-free operating room. Make sure that non reusable parts are not recycled. Firmly insist that your eye is completely sterilized, and insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized before your eye laser surgery to eliminate the risk of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Be careful of advertisements pressing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgery is as good as a discount rate parachute. The potential cost savings are not worth the risk of getting less than professional care!
Expect to see really well after LASIK, but don't anticipate to see completely. As with any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as private as each patient. Be careful of any physician who promises 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a difficult sell, you most likely are. You're not purchasing a vehicle; this is genuine LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely provide much better vision than LASIK. Consider waiting until visit here the new lenses are readily available. Ask your doctor about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, don't lose sight of the benefits: for many people, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually enhanced the eyesight of millions of individuals all over the world.