Ready to Lose Your Glasses? 10 pointers for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest evolving fields of medication. Never before have so many new methods and scientific developments emerged in such a short period of time. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, uses millions of individuals the chance to decrease or eliminate their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio advertisements are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the pain-free and quick method to fix vision, however stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Before you choose to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist make sure that you will more than happy with your results?
The key to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an informed client. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a medical professional by getting recommendations from other physicians or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be tricked by expensive ads about a specific laser. Choose the physician, not the laser.
3. Pick a doctor who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a medical professional doesn't understand can hurt you.
Ask for information on your physician's LASIK eye surgery problem rates. If your physician will not tell you, find another one.
Ask exactly what procedures are taken to avoid infection. Firmly insist that your eye is completely decontaminated, and insist that the surgical instruments be decontaminated prior to your you could try these out eye laser surgery to get rid of the threat of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Be careful of advertisements pressing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgery is as great as a discount parachute.
Expect to see extremely well after LASIK, but don't expect to see perfectly. As with any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as specific as each client. Be careful of any physician who guarantees 20/20 vision.
8. If you seem like you're getting a tough sell, you most likely are. Go elsewhere. You're not purchasing a car; this is genuine LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. Implantable lenses will probably offer much better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Consider waiting up until the brand-new lenses are readily available. Ask your physician about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, do not forget the benefits: for many people, a lifetime of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has enhanced the eyesight of countless people all over the world.